Wednesday 23 August 2023

Weight: 3.46 tons

After adding quite a few things into the camper box, I needed to know the weight. So I went again to a weight station.

The result this time: 3.46 tons. Without me in the van, but with full tank.

Means: with me it would be 3.56 tons. Overweight. The van. Me too.

So next steps: unloading everything that I deem unnecessary. Batteries removed: 80 kg. Fewer drinks in the car, emptying the fridge. Removing the spare bed. I kept a tally, adding and subtracting all that went in or out of the van. My calculation then: 3.35 tons. So with this weight I could also travel, and still remain under 3.5 tons.

The reason for my concern regarding weight: the van is officially registered as 3.5 ton. Can be up-graded, the van itself allows that; there is a label somewhere on the van stating 6500 kg. And my driver's license allows up to 7.5 tons - I still have an older license where this limit was more generous.

But I want to remain within the 3.5 ton limit for a while: to be compliant with the registration documentation, and to be allowed to drive on roads which limit access to vehicles below 3.5t. Also I want to travel to Switzerland soon, and they are apparently quite strict: even sometimes measuring the weight right at the border entry, and then charging fines and reclassifying the car regarding the road fee. Below 3.5t I can buy the annual fee of €42; above 3.5t I need to purchase a daily pass at around €3 per day. That adds up within one year.

So this is the slimmed-down version of the camper interior for now:






No comments:

Post a Comment