Tuesday 26 September 2023

Trying to fix window leaking

The two bullseye windows did show significant leakage during the rain storms last week. The reason was that I had mounted the rubber seal so that a gab was at the bottom. I did hole water could flow out from there, but instead it did flow into the room from this gap.

The left window was easily being fixed: it had not been glued, so I could simply press it out, reposition the rubber seal so that the gap was now at the top, then press the window dome again into the hole. 

The right window was more difficult: I had glued it with white sealant glue, and the window was firmly stuck to the rubber seal. If I had tried to remove it, I would have broken either the window or the seal. So I kept the window and the rubber in place. But I did try to fill all the gaps with black Sikaflex. Made a big mess, but hopefully this will be tight. The next rain will show.


Will later clean the over-spilled Sikaflex glue.

Then I had another idea: I mounted lightweight wall panel plastic sheets under the windows at the inside, which would deflect incoming water to the bottom. At the bottom there is a kind of trench where water would accumulate. I drilled a few holes in the bottom of that trench, and so now I have a water drainage concept.

Let's see if that works in a real rainy situation. It will compromise the full Styrofoam insulation - can here only use the thinner Styrofoam, maybe some wool. But I do not want to capture the incoming water with wool or other things, but I want to let it flow out without any obstacle.

Partial drainage wall at left window.



Partial mounting of the drainage wall at the right window.


No comments:

Post a Comment