Saturday 2 September 2023

The first windows

I always had the idea that it would be good to be able to look out of the camper and have a wide field of view. So I got two semi-sphere PVC domes which I want to attach at the front, as outlooks from the bedroom.

These are the domes from Amazon: 



In the camper: First I need to remove the wooden horizontal bar. I use a circular saw to cut through.





Next I need to cut the circle. First a pilot hole so that the jigsaw can do its work.



But the space inside the van is too limited for the jigsaw: I am only able to cut a few cm, then the metal structures inside get in the way of the saw. These are the horizontal and vertical bars which provide the stability of the whole box structure. Therefore I need to cut from the outside. I use the pilot holes as guidance, then I draw the outer circle on the surface. Will need to make the cut about 2cm inside of that circle.



In order not do cause too much damage to the outside surface I place a pair of socks onto the metal plate of the jigsaw. If I would not do this, then the metal plate would scratch the blue vehicle surface.



And the hole is cut:




Now the seal. I had gotten from Amazon this seal with edge protection . 



Fits exactly onto the aluminium sheets. I ordered 3 meters, this is sufficient for both windows. Is not very cheap, but has quite a high quality.




Now pressing the dome into the opening from the inside:



I place additional wooden bars which press the dome against its seal.



Same procedure for the second window:



And it is done:



Now I can sleep and once in a while can peek outside.


Must put curtains there at each of the windows.



I am sure this is the only camper in the whole of Europe which has such kind of windows!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment