Tuesday 25 July 2023

Never use metal valve caps!

For the first time I wanted to check finally the pressure on the tyres. I was able to do this on three of them, but the read right tyre had a cap on that I just could not remove. Went to Walsh Vehicle Repairs, and they told me I need to go to a tyre shop - the valve cover had welded into the valve and therefore could no longer be opened, so the wheel would need to be removed and the valve be cut off and replaced. So I went to Kwik Fit right next to my place, and the guy there confirmed that this valve cover had welded into the valve. Since shop was not equipped to handle such large vehicles, he sent me to Kwik Fit in Geldert Road. They have provisions for trucks, but the blue Luton is still a bit too high: 10' 2" is their entry height, while the Luton is 10'4". So they sent me to Panesar Motors, and they did have a large garage for trucks I left the Luton there, and a few hours later the new valve was there, tyre pumped up to correct pressure.

So a whole afternoon was spent on this.

And each shop told me one thing: NEVER USE METAL VALVE CAPS !




No comments:

Post a Comment