Sunday 28 April 2024

A second door

My brother Winny, who himself has a lot of experience with building a camper (he had an Hanomag a few years ago which which he was travelling across Europe) has advised me that it would be good to have a 2nd door in the camper box - just for the case that one could not open the rear "balcony" lift.

He was right, of course, and so I got on eBay such a door. Is a Dethleffs replacement door for their own campers, is basically a new item that had be in store for a while. Reasonable price, so I ordered it.



All I had to do was to cut the opening in the Luton box. There were some space constraints: the total width between 2 vertical pillars was about 55cm. The door would fit OK.

But I was a bit worried about removing the only metal horizontal bar which keeps the box stable. 



Well, I had no other choice; if I want a door, the metal bar must go. So with a Ryobi flex I cut through the metal.




Now drilling a few pilot holes, then drawing the outline onto the outside, then cutting with a jig saw through the double-walled Aluminium box.



Inserting the door was easy - the frame fit perfectly. A bit of SikaFlex, then I began affixing the door frame with self-taping screws into the Alu. 30 of them. 


Looks not too bad!


The upper half of the door can be opened to let air in.


Now the camper has two entry doors.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment