Thursday 15 June 2023

Searching for van insurance

For my regular car I did have good experience with GoCompare. But van insurance is in general very expensive... I learned that already when 6 years ago I tried to insure the LDV 400 Convoy. And since this blue Renault Master Luton is not yet converted, it will be classified as a regular (private) van. 

GoCompare and several other sites (MoneySuperMarket, CompareTheMarket) all came up with one cheapest insurance quote: insure2drive.  At a annual price of GBP 1128 resp. higher. And European travel would only be for 28 days per year. Not acceptable.

While searching on google, I found an ad for "Self Build Campervan Insurance". I filled out their online form, then got the screen message that someone would ring me back. That is not what I usually like - I prefer to do it all on the web, with forms and emails. No talking.

But a few minutes later the phone rang, and a lady took my further details. She represented also an intermediary and would be able to find quotes from other insurances. She transferred then my call to the company Adrian Flux. I spoke to the guy, and their quote was actually lower than anything I had seen: GBP 858 per year. Not cheap, but still the cheapest. So I agreed and took this insurance. It also includes full year cover for driving in Europe.

If the van would already have been converted into a motorhome, insurance would be much cheaper. But for now, as a van, I have to bite the bullet and pay the expensive insurance for a van. 

Now the Blue Luton has an insurance, and I am looking forward to driving this van soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment